오직 예수안에서

문화의 장벽을 넘는 교회

Four Perspectives to the Cross

• 설교자: P Sam
  • 본문: Isaiah 53:1-12
  • 설교일: 4-14

Four Perspectives to the Cross

How much do you know about the cross? Can you understand God’s plan of His Son being crucified for human? There was a prophet who had prophesized about Jesus’ suffering 700 years before His birth. Isaiah’s prophecy foretold the deeper meaning of the cross, the mystery of salvation through suffering.

Read the text, Isaiah 53:1-12.

It is hard to accept that the Savior saves His people through His death. That’s why they mocked Him, “If you are the savior, come down from the cross. Save yourself and save us.”

Do you understand God’s plan behind this? The Bible passage explains four perspectives to see the cross. As we go through four perspectives of the cross, we will get a deeper understanding of the cross.

Historical cross (v2-3)

The first perspective to the cross is understanding of the cross as it was shown to the eyes of the world.  We must admit that Jesus’ crucifixion was a historical fact. Crucifixion was one of the ancient capital punishments and Jesus was one of the victims. They nailed the victim to the cross, of various shapes, left him dead. It was so cruel to the victim and so disgusting to spectators. It was naked, crying of pain, and dying in thirst and pain.

V3 says he was despised and rejected. He was accused of illegitimate birth. We believe virgin birth, but they thought Jesus was born from adultery. Even his brothers didn't believe in Him. He was the man of sorrows (pains). He knows (experience) grief. He was rejected by His disciples, and even by God His Father.

This is how Jesus’ cross was seen to the eyes of the crowd. They didn’t understand how this innocent man was condemned by their religious leaders. But, the Bible explains why this innocent bleeding happened.

His death was for my sins (My Cross) (v4-6)

vv4-6 explain the meaning of his death. Every pain and weep was for every piece of my sin. Look at repeated pairs of his suffering and our healing (verse 5 – 6).

Know this. We didn't put our sins on His shoulder because we hadn’t known him. As we thought we were sinless and righteous, God made Jesus die for our sins. (v6)

If you understand the cross this way, Jesus’ cross is not somebody else’s cross anymore. It will come to you so closely as if the victim is your friend or family. That is a personal encounter with the cross.

Brennan Manning, a Franciscan priest, heard Jesus Christ saying in faith, "For the love of you I left my Father's side. I came to you who ran from me, fled me, who did not want to hear my name. For love of you, I was covered with spit, punched, beaten, and affixed to the wood of the cross."

He came out and shouted into the darkness, "Jesus, are you crazy? Are you out of your mind to have loved me so much?"  

That is the response who encounter Jesus on the cross.

It was a voluntary innocent sacrifice (Jesus' Cross) (v7-9)

Verse 7-9 explains the cross Jesus experienced. Jesus voluntarily walked toward the cross. He endured the cross and despised the shame (Heb 12:2).

He didn't open mouth (3 times in verse 7). He didn't defend Himself before Pilate. And before the high priests, Jesus admitted Himself as the Messiah and helped them to condemn Jesus.

Verse 9 says He was innocent. They treated Him as one of the criminals and crucified in the middle of two robbers. But, he was buried in the tomb of a nobleman. Because he was without sin.

No one voluntarily sacrifices own life for nothing. God doesn't want innocent blood shedding.

Therefore, when Jesus laid down His life, it was to save someone else. His death was to save His people (v8). He died in my place. It is called redemption.

And his voluntary sacrifice made it be perfect redemption. Full and complete payment for our sins, when Jesus is saying, “I am willingly paying the penalty of their sins.”

His love is so great!!

Then, what is God’s plan in His Son’s crucifixion?

The cross was God's plan to save sinners (God's cross) (v10-12)

God so loved Jesus, but He sacrificed Jesus. for what? It was for God's pleasing plan. (v10)

God’s plan is to raise Jesus from death and give His followers eternal life.

Here is a problem when God forgives our sins and gives us eternal life. If God forgives our sins for nothing, God is not just. Through Jesus’ sacrifice, God’s justice was satisfied. (v11)

Closing the message,

The salvation of sinners through the redemptive sacrifice of Jesus, His Son, this is God’s plan. (v12)

Have you been indifferent about the crucifixion of Jesus? Google it! You will know it happened really 2000 years ago and how cruel it was. But, the cross is more than what was seen to their eyes. Jesus voluntarily took the burden of our sins and paid off the penalty of the sin. Isn’t it amazing love? And all these were in God’s plan to save sinners like us, while we were ignorant and indifferent about Jesus. This Passion Week, may God’s grace be more on you in knowing the depth and width of His love!

댓글목록

제목 참고 링크
6-2 Knowledge puffs up, love builds up
  • 1 Cor 8:1-13
  • P Sam
  • 6-2
  • 1 Cor 8:1-13
  • P Sam
4-14 Four Perspectives to the Cross
  • Isaiah 53:1-12
  • P Sam
  • 4-14